Please Wait a Moment

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Change of Address

Q. How do I report my change of address?

A: Both the NM Supreme Court and the Bar need to be notified of address changes within 30 days of the change. An Address of Record and a Street address are both needed. Changes need to be report in writing by one of the following:

                                Clerk of the Supreme Court, PO Box 848, Santa Fe, NM 87504 and

                                State Bar of New Mexico, Change of Address, PO Box 92860, Albuquerque, NM 87199

Q. Can I have different mailing, directory and Web site addresses?

A: Yes, you may have a different mailing address other than your address of record.

Q. Can I keep my address of record out of the directory/Web site?

A: No. The address of record will be published in the directory and on the web site. There are no exceptions.

Q. Can I limit State Bar or third-party mailings?

A:   Yes. We can insure you get no mail from the State Bar or third parties who use the State Bar files for mailing.  Alternatively, we can restrict your information from going to third parties but still have you get mail from the State Bar.

Q. How do I inform you that my name has changed?

A: Advise the Supreme Court, please email the following to the Supreme Court and the State Bar of New Mexico

  • Name as it is now
  • Name as you would like it to be:
  • Address of Record:
  • Street Address:
  •   (must be a physical address, if different from AOR it may be confidential):
  • Phone of record:
  • Email of record:    
  • Copy of name change document (marriage license, divorce decree, etc)

***The name of record will not be changed until the Supreme Court issues a clerk's certificate of the name change.***

Q. How do I stop my subscription to the Bar Bulletin?

A: Just contact us at

Q. I do not have an address that I can permit to be made public. What should I do?

A:    Obtain a post office box. There must be an address of record for each member.

Q. I have different summer and winter addresses. Can this be accommodated?

A: Yes, you will need to update each time you move. 

Q: I'm moving out of New Mexico. Do I need to change my membership?

A: If you'll be leaving New Mexico, there are a few things you should take care of. The first thing you should do is contact the State Bar and the Supreme Court to change your address, both mailing and physical. This will ensure delivery of important mailings such as your annual license statement and your continuing legal education mailings. You will also want to determine whether inactive or active status is best for you. Many members retain active status to keep their option of practicing in New Mexico available at all times. This can be done by paying the active license each year and complying with the minimum continuing legal education requirements.

Bar Cards

To order a replacement bar card please furnish your name, address, and bar id. Please allow two to four weeks to receive a replacement Bar Card. Send your request to: or State Bar of New Mexico, PO Box 92860, Albuquerque, NM 87199.

Certificate of Good Standing, Statement of Discipline, Letter of Membership

Q: I have been asked for a Certificate of Good Standing. How do I obtain this document?

A: Certificates of Good Standing are issued by the New Mexico Supreme Court, and state that a member is in good standing. Any past disciplinary action or suspension is noted on the Certificate of Good Standing. Call (505) 827-4860 or the Supreme Court website to request this document. The charge for a Certificate of Good Standing is $1.00.

Q: I have been asked to get a Statement of Discipline. How does this differ from a Certificate of Good Standing, and where do I get this document?

A: A Statement of Discipline is similar to a Certificate of Good Standing in that it notes any disciplinary action taken against an attorney, but it is obtained from the Disciplinary Board at a cost of $10. The Statement of Discipline is required by some states when applying to take the bar exam or for admission on motion. This document needs to be requested in writing and the attorney will need to waive his/her right to confidentiality. You may contact the Disciplinary Board at (505) 842-5781. This report can only be requested by the practicing attorney or by persons/entities who provide the practicing attorney's waiver.

Q: I have been asked for a Letter of Membership. From whom do I request this letter?

A: A Letter of Membership can be obtained from the State Bar of New Mexico. Call (505) 797-6000, write or email to request this document. A Letter of Membership states when a member was admitted to the Bar and their current membership status. This may be required by other states when applying to take the bar exam. This letter can only be requested by the practicing attorney.

Inactive Status

Q. What does inactive status mean?

A: Inactive status is for those members who are eligible for active status but are not currently practicing law in New Mexico and have completed an application for inactive status. There are no continuing legal education requirements during the time you are on the inactive status. An inactive status application is required, you can request the application by calling the State Bar at (505) 797-6054 or emailing

Q: How do I transfer back to active status in the future?

A: To reinstate from Inactive status, you'll need to follow the reinstatement procedures found on the Board of Bar Examiners website:

  • Prior to this, you will need to check your continuing legal education records and determine whether you will be required to complete any prior-year deficit and/or pay fees by emailing
  • After the State Bar receives your reinstatement certificate, you'll be invoiced any additional License, Client Protection, and Disciplinary Board fees and you will again be subject to the continuing legal education requirements. 

License Fees

Q: What if I don't pay my mandatory fees?

A: If you don't pay the annual mandatory fees, your license in New Mexico would be suspended and you would no longer be eligible to practice in this state or use your New Mexico license to practice in any other jurisdiction, without first reinstating your license by paying double your back fees plus a $100 late fee. This suspension is also recorded on your permanent file and does have to be disclosed when applying for licenses in other states.

Q: What if I want to remain a member but I'm having trouble paying my license?

A:The Supreme Court requires all members to pay annual fees each January 1st. Members should plan for this yearly payment to avoid the possibility of suspension for nonpayment of fees. We accept credit card payments. If you contact us by January 1, we are able to give you payment plan options.

Q: When are the Annual Membership and License Fees due?

A: Every member of the State Bar shall, prior to the first day of January of each year, pay to the Executive Director of the State Bar an annual license fee.  Active members whose dues are received after the first day of February will be assessed a late payment penalty of one hundred dollars ($100).  Inactive members whose dues are received after the first day of February will be assessed a late payment penalty of fifty dollars ($50).

Q: How much are my License Fees?

A: The annual license fees for active and inactive status members shall be determined and fixed by the Board and approved by the Supreme Court prior to January of each calendar year.

Q: Do I get any discount from my dues when I become a new member of the New Mexico Bar?

A: Newly admitted members who have never been admitted to another state or country received a reduced amount in their first full year. 


Q: Does the State Bar of New Mexico have reciprocity?

A: Yes.  For more information regarding which states we share reciprocity with and the Rules & Requirements you can find the answers at


Q: If I am suspended for nonpayment of dues, how am I reinstated?

A:  Any member suspended because of nonpayment of license fees or penalties shall be required to petition the Board of Bar Examiners for reinstatement, and as a condition precedent to any granting of reinstatement shall be required to pay a reinstatement fee of:

    A. twice that member's then license fee, plus
    B. fees in arrears, plus
    C. accrued late penalty payments.

Voluntary Withdrawal

Q: I'm thinking about giving up my New Mexico license. What do I need to do?

A: As of December 31, 2016, a new rule went into effect, that if you do decide to come back from withdrawn status,  you will need to go through the Board of Bar Examiners and either retake the bar exam or come in through the reciprocity rule.  If you've considered all of the options available, such as inactive status, and you still feel that you would like to give up your license, the proper method is to voluntarily resign. This requires notifying the NM Supreme Court and the Bar in writing of your intent, which will then allow you to relinquish your New Mexico license without the suspension that would occur if you simply chose not to pay your mandatory fees.  You may email the Supreme Court at and also cc  Please give us your current mailing address.


Bridge the Gap Mentorship





5121 Masthead St. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87109
PO Box 92860
Albuquerque, NM 87199-2860

866-588-9437 (fax)

Email Us