Please Wait a Moment

Wildfire Assistance

Wildfire Legal Assistance Hotline

The hotline is officially closed. We thank FEMA and the American Bar Association for their help in implementing the hotline for the three months it was active.

If you need legal assistance regarding the wildfires and/or flooding, please see the information below in "Other Legal Resources"

Download List of Legal Service Providers

*Please note that some of these organizations are income based dependent for representation*

Other Legal Resources:

Local Resources:

Disaster Recovery Center Locator

Current DRC Locations (As of 6/24):

  • San Miguel County
    Old Memorial Middle School
    Monday - Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. MST
    Closed on Sundays
    No closure date as of yet

Disaster Distress Helpline: Call or Text 1-800-985-5990,

For Deaf and Hard of Hearing ASL Callers: To connect directly to an agent in American Sign Language call 1-800-985-5990 from your videophone. ASL Support is available 24/7.

Applying for Assistance

Home Ownership Documentation Requirements:

Current options:

  • Deed or title
  • Mortgage document
  • Homeowners insurance documentation
  • Property tax receipt or tax bill
  • Manufactured home certificate or title
  • Home purchase contracts (Bill of Sale)
  • Last will and testament (and death certificate) naming Resident heir to the property

Expanded Options:

  • Documentation can now be dated within one year prior to the disaster or within the 18- month period of assistance
  • Receipts for major repairs or maintenance dated within five years prior to the disaster
  • Letter prepared after the disaster from a mobile home park owner or manager or public official that meet FEMA requirements
  • Letter of mail delivered to the Resident’s address from an employer, public official, social service organization, local school or school district mobile home park owner or manager

I Applied for Assistance. What's Next?

You will receive notification letters from FEMA either by U.S. mail or by electronic correspondence explaining your next steps. If you reported during the application process that you received damage and are not able to live in your primary residence, an inspector will contact you by phone to schedule an inspection. All inspections will be conducted without entering your residence. When inspectors arrive at your home they will maintain social distance, visually assess the exterior of the residence, and verbally confirm the interior damage over the phone.


FEMA Resources:

"Help After a Disaster" Brochure

Translated into 27 languages, the "Help After a Disaster" brochure is a tool that can be shared in your community to help people understand the types of FEMA assistance that may be available to support individuals and families in disaster recovery.

Download Brochure

211 Information and Referral Line

211 is a free information and referral line that help callers throughout New Mexico find resources to meet their basic needs. 211 is available M-F 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. MST and in 240 different languages. 211 is currently helping fire evacuees navigate the resources available to them. Callers can call for resources on utility and rental assistance, food assistance, donations, mental health resources and much more.

Call 211 directly for help! Or click here to view an extensive resource list!